Actuarial Guideline 49-A (AG 49-A) Updates from Securian
We welcomed Actuarial Guideline 49 (AG49) and uniformity for indexed universal life (IUL) illustration practices. Now with enhancements to this guideline, AG 49-A once again levels the playing field – so IUL products with multipliers, cap buy-ups and other enhancements cannot illustrate significantly better than traditional IUL products.
To learn how Securian Financial’s IUL products are positioned for success, view our AG 49-A FAQ and additional resources at securian.com/AG49. Please also keep in mind the important dates listed below as you place IUL cases over the next two months.
Important 2020 dates
- Friday, November 20, 2020 — Illustrations based on the old AG49 guidelines will no longer be available after this date.
- Saturday, November 21, 2020 (noon, CST) — Updated, AG 49-A compliant illustrations available.
- Friday, December 11, 2020 (3 p.m., CST) — to place a case under the old AG49 guidelines, cases need to be UNDERWRITTEN, APPROVED, PAID and DELIVERED (delivery receipt signed) with a signed illustration run no later than November 20.
Cases that have not completed the above requirements by this time will require a new, signed AG 49-A compliant illustration.
- This is a regulatory requirement and NO EXCEPTIONS will be made.
- Nevada and Oregon only. AG 49-A compliant illustrations are pending state approval. Cases for these states need to be paid and delivered by 3 p.m., Friday, December 11, 2020, with a signed illustration run no later than November 20. Otherwise, products in those states will be unable to be issued until the updated illustrations are approved. Approval timing could vary by product.
Note: There may be situations in which you receive an illustration upon policy delivery containing old AG 49 guidelines. If this occurs, you will be asked to supply a new, signed AG 49-A compliant illustration. For more information and updates on this regulation and how it impacts your business with Securian Financial, visit securian.com/AG49.